Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 8 - Logrono to Najera

Weather: Excellent for walking - bright sunny and cool.
Track : gentle and easy.
Distance: 31.1kms.
Logrono is a major regional center in Rioja and so it took us over an hour to actually walk clear of city precincts.
This region looks to be a major food and agriculture area for Spain.
We have now been walking for days past endless fields of wheat and barley and vineyards as far as the eye can see.
Conditions are ideal for our walk today but the 31km plus carrying 14kg of backpack is taking its toll.
We stopped for morning tea at a little village called Navarette which also boasted this magnificently ornate church - there is more gold in there than the whole of Kalgoorlie!!!!!
Continued onto Ventosa for lunch and struggled into Najera at about 3:30pm.
Found some appropriate lodgings and started to settle on for the day.
I went to have the usual clean up and shower but as can sometimes happen all your plans change in the blink of an eye!!!! Getting out of the shower I slipped and fell awkwardly and really hurt myself.
I didn't quite know how much at first but I knew I'd probably done something serious. Jose called an ambulance after a while and I went off to the local hospital.
The doc there had a look at me and diagnosed a broken left arm but could not confirm as their X-ray machine was closed. So off to Logrono again by taxi to the hospital.
Long story short the x-ray confirmed I have a broken left arm (ulna) which needs surgery.
The medicos gave me the option of waiting till mid next week to do the op or go home. I have chosen the latter!!!!
So.  No. More Camino for me!!!! !!!!!
We went back to Najera and rang home to advise a 'slight' change of plans.







1 comment:

  1. Lawrence this makes us extremely sad and I can't hardly believe it!! We have been thinking about you two the past few days and had to look at the blog but didn't expect to see this. You will have to heal up and come back to finish. You'll now know to pack less in your backpacks and be so much the wiser. Take care and heal up!!

    ReplyDelete